Thursday, July 11, 2013

Falcon Miniature With 35mm Film

 
Meet my new toy... The Falcon Miniature. This camera is fully mechanical, with no batteries or auto features of any kind. The body is made from Bakelite. As far as I can tell, this model was made in the late '30s/ early '40s and originally used 127 film. I bought it at a yard sale for .20 and figured, what the heck.. might be fun to give it a try.
 
Firstly, I used 35mm film instead of the original 127 film. The cannister didn't quite fit, and dented slightly when I put the cover back on.
 
Secondly, there are two red windows on the back of the camera. These windows were used to advance the film... which would have been awesome if I had used 127 which is paper backed and doesn't allow light to hit the film... but I didn't. So I had to cover the holes. I used several layers of foil and some tape. As you can see, this was not adequate:
 
 
 
Orange streaks through the entire roll.
 
You can also see that I had several double exposures and overlapping pictures, because I had to guess how far to advance after each shot.
 
 
 Turns out that 1 full turn of the knob worked out the best on this particular camera.

I plan to try another roll of film and apply what I learned from this one. Ideally, I'd like to shoot a roll of black and white with this camera. If I can get it right, I think the photos would come out amazing.

 
 
 xoxo, Arbor Lane


No comments:

Post a Comment